Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Dogs and cats

I was curious about cats and dogs since I'd heard the Chinese eat them. So I was very surprised to see so many people with dogs as pets. My first 2 weeks I probably saw hundreds of them, almost all small. But I never saw a single cat.

I've been here 2 more weeks now and have seen hundreds more dogs, but have seen a total of 3 cats. I asked at work why that might be and one of the Chinese teachers said "Because they know to run when they see someone coming." Yes, they like their cats here; just not the same way we like them.

I also learned that while they now see little dogs as cute, big dogs are still fair game. Sure enough, I have seen very few big dogs, although that could also be attributed to how small the apartments are and that no one has their own yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment