Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

May 24 -the vagabond life & adventures with food


"Walked for an hour yesterday to find something I was comfortable eating. I'm in
a pretty 'local' area. Looked for packaged foods, thinking that would be safest
and most familiar. Found very little. Amazing how 3rd world China still is.

Finally, for supper I bought some potato chips (which taste similar to ours) and
a thing that looked like moon pies. Guess what they tasted like? Exactly
like our moon pies! So that was my supper. Very filling.

First breakfast at the hotel: I like my coffee first thing in the morning, so when I saw that none of the coffee pots were filled and that they would fix coffee upon request, I prepared myself for instant coffee, which I really hate. Imagine my surprise when they brought out wonderful espresso! Every thing else was very plain, but I'm NOT complaining.

Instead of napkins, they have kleenex. BUT it may say more about us than about them that we think we have to have a separate product for each and every function.

Can't wait to get my own apartment so I'll have a place I can call home and get
set up on internet, phone, etc. Very much a vagabond now. HOWEVER, I feel
confident about my ability to survive here. I love the way pedestrians dart in
and out of traffic--that's my style! Even tho it drives other people crazy.

The specks of pollution I thought I saw last night were actually like dandelion
from the trees they have here.

"Getting around easily on the subway. My school is only 2 stops from my hotel
and it is in a shopping mall that is even more Western than the supposed
'western section'. I was like a kid in a candy store with all the familiar
products. They even had Mountain Dew, which I couldn't find anywhere in
Europe!!!

Of course, I'll be eating Chinese food, but the area in walking distance from my
hotel is very local--no western shops--so the conditions are questionable.
When you pass by public toilets and some alleyways, there is a strong smell of
feces and urine. So I'm being careful. In the western sections, I am much more
comfortable. I haven't gotten sick yet, so it's working so far.

They're here now to take me to my school for the first time--today was
orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment